Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Round Top Adventure!

So I mentioned in my last post that our changing table was a GREAT find with quite a story...

Twice a year, there is an amazing and HUGE antique show in Round Top Texas, (about an hour and a half east of Austin).  A good friend found a gorgeous Armior that I thought I could use for Kinley's room.  It was perfect - antique, white, and FULLY built out inside with drawers and cubbies. 


Great huh?!...

I really couldn't have been more excited...thus began my lack of rational thinking...

So that weekend we borrowed a truck from a friend, headed out to Round Top, met the seller (a really sweet guy), purchased the armior and even found a dresser that would make a great changing table in the next vendor's booth - everything was working out perfectly!  We loaded up the armoir and tried to put the dresser/changing table in the backseat, but it wouldn't fit. 

But not to worry - our friendly sales guys had a plan to strap the dresser/changing table onto the back end of the truck...literally sitting on the tailgate.  Trent and I both has hesitations, but drove away hoping everything was tied down tight enough to make the drive home.

Then everything changed...

We had been driving for no more than 20 minutes when we watch as our great little purchase of a changing table goes flying out of the truck and onto the highway....yes I said highway...and right in front of oncoming traffic - 18 wheelers and all!  I was sure it would shatter into a thousand tiny shreds of wood.  Oh but it didn't - from what we could see it was fully intact..again remember - in front of on-coming traffic.  I definitely began praying in that moment that no one would get hurt!  We turned around, got back to the dresser and Trent pulled it off the highway without any accidents - thank the Lord! 

After much delimma and me once again learning to trust my husband's leadership, we strapped the dresser/changing table on top of the armior and made the rest of our trip back to Austin safely - I think I turned around about 100 times on that drive.  Once we got home we looked over the dresser and it amazingly was in great shape!  I mean this is one well-made dresser!

Now as for the armior.....

Ya, so it's usually a good idea to not only measure the room to make sure a piece of furniture will fit, but to also measure the path by which you are going to get it into the room as well....here's where we made our biggest mistake.  The armior DEFINITELY did not fit around the corner to get in the room.  Quite the punch in the stomach after the day we'd been having!  And truthfully, it was entirely too big of a piece for the room anyway. 

So I'm thankful that we still have the changing table - which I love.  But now we just have to sell the armior - anyone interested?  I've posted a link to craig's list in hopes of being able to find a buyer - someone who has a little more space and a lot more sense than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment