Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Week 2 complete (and UNDER budget!), On to Week 3!

Well I'm very excited (and just a little proud) that I came in WAY under budget last week.  Looking at what I had left from the previous week really helped me to come up with recipes that I wouldn't need a lot of new stuff for!  Lesson learned!!!

My final total for the week was $25.35.  WOHOOO!!!!  Here's my spreadsheet updated:  Grocery List 8/15/11

For this next week here's my plan:

Breakfast:
Cereal & Bran Muffins (still have about 2 dozen left from 2 weeks ago!)

Lunch:
Leftovers
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches (all stuff I already have)

Dinner:
Monday:  Lemon Pepper Chicken, Baked Potatoes, and Broccoli
Tuesday:  Chicken Pot Pie
Wednesday: Beef Tacos & Homemade Refried Black Beans
Thursday: leftovers
Friday: ?? digging through the cabinet
Saturday: Tomato, Pasta, & Potato Bake
Sunday: ?? digging through the cabinet

It's not a complete week of meals, but I've learned over time when we have a week of funny schedules (which is nearly every week) it's better to under-plan so I don't buy food that we won't have time to eat before it goes bad!  So Thursday, Friday, and Sunday may be a bit of an adventure...or a bowl of cheerios - we'll see =)

Kinley meals: She'll be eating applesauce, yogurt, mango, green beans, peas, zucchini, avocado, and a few things I've purchased: bananas, cheerios, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and carrots

Here's my loot from the grocery store yesterday:

And here's the breakdown of my purchases: Grocery List 8/22/11.  Right now my total grocery expense is $45.06. 

Not as good as last week, I think there are a few things I could have saved a bit on by shopping at a few different stores...I haven't ventured out to compare prices between stores as of yet!  Also I splurged and bought chocolate chips to make homemade chocolate chip cookies.  = )

The math nerd in me couldn't help but figure out my average weekly spending so far

...drumroll please...

$46.92!!

That.feels.good.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I told you that for the potato bake you'll want to slice the potatoes super thin. I actually used one side of my 4 sided cheese grater to slice it really thin. So much faster than slicing it with a knife plus I'm not skilled enough to slice a potato super thin anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan - did you notice that ALL 4 meals this week are ones that you gave me?! haha, I think you're a pretty great cook!!!

    ReplyDelete